We aim for our curriculum to:
Engage our children in a journey of learning and discovery. We aim to make the learning exciting, relevant and purposeful.
In order to achieve this, we plan:
- A termly ‘Learning Journey’ based on planned and structured experiences in order to develop the core skills outlined in the National Curriculum. We encourage children to take joint ownership of their journey and in response to their interests and needs, we give them freedom to adapt it along the way.
- An integrated cross curricular approach. Wherever possible we link the learning experiences together in order to give purpose to each and every lesson.
- A Spectacular Start – we find ways to excite the children at the start of each journey. We consult with the children, we are interested in their ideas of how they want the journey to go.
- Marvellous Middle – we continue to plan exciting opportunities along the way. We allow the children to have their say in the context for learning. We transfer core skills into new, relevant and exciting contexts. At the half term mid point, we set a family learning project to inspire children ready for the next phase of their journey.
- Fantastic Finish – we make the journey memorable. We celebrate the learning that has taken place. We evaluate the journey. What new skills have we learnt? How would we change it next time? Where are we going next on our journey?
- We place Literacy at the heart of every lesson – (Sp & L, reading or writing.
- We ensure core literacy and numeracy skills are transferred and practised throughout all areas of the curriculum and not just limited to Literacy or Numeracy lessons.
- We use high quality texts ‘Treasured Texts’ to provide a meaningful context to the learning.
We aim to Enrich and enhance our curriculum. We aim to develop creativity and spirituality alongside academic achievement. We aim to enhance the learning opportunities for our children through using the outdoor environment and through promoting a healthy lifestyle. Extra -curricular opportunities will develop core knowledge, skills and attitudes .
In order to achieve this aim, we plan:
- A programme of extracurricular clubs
- Visits/visitors to bring the journey alive
- Outdoor learning experiences
- Community links
- Use of the Library to develop and extend research skills
- Opportunities to develop and promote social, moral, spiritual and cultural learning
- Church links
- Themed days